Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Anxiety & Stress
HOW WE HELP
When you feel like you're going in circles with a problem, a difficult person or something that you can't stop worrying about, cognitive therapy can help you find the relief you need.
- Individual 50-minute counselling sessions. Typically, people come in for traditional face to face counselling sessions every week or every other week depending on your schedule. Most people attend 5-8 sessions of therapy before they start to really notice that they are feeling better. If you have multiple concerns, depression or OCD, expect therapy to take a little longer - anywhere from 15-20 sessions on average. If you would prefer to work mostly on your own self-help program with monthly "coaching" sessions with a therapist who can give you feedback and encouragement we would be happy to accommodate you.
- Therapy via Email. Please phone 604-259-0627 and one of our therapists will be able to answer your questions about this convenient treatment option. You complete an online course with weekly email support from your therapist. No need to take time off work or book a babysitter - you can do your therapy “session” any time - day or night. Your therapist will reply to your email at a predetermined time (e.g., Dr. Korol usually replies on Thursdays) providing you with feedback and encouragement on the work you have been doing on your own. Research is beginning to show that email therapy is as effective as face to face therapy for a variety of concerns at about 1/4 of the cost of traditional therapy. You must be a resident of and currently living in British Columbia to be eligible for this service (e.g., BC students studying out of province are not eligible - you must be physically present in BC at the time of your treatment). Please check with your extended health to ensure that they will reimburse you for this method of therapy.
- Telephone or Video Chat Sessions. There is growing evidence that distance therapy can be highly effective for a variety of concerns. This is terrific news if you live outside of the Lower Mainland and are having difficulty finding specialized care in your community - or if you would prefer sessions from without having to commute to our office. In order to receive this service, you must be a resident of British Columbia (the Province where we are all licensed to practice). You must also have a private space where you can have your session without interruption and be comfortable enough with the technology from your location. Telephone sessions are a good back up if your wifi goes down or if your Internet connection is less reliable. Please call the office at 604-259-0627 for more info about setting up distance sessions and to see if they might be right for you.
- Online classes. These are offered periodically, where you can learn a particular set of skills from the comfort of your own home. If you miss a class, you'll be able to watch the recordings at a time that is more convenient for you. Please check this website regularly for the latest schedule of classes. While you are waiting for live online classes, please click here to check out the free online self-help videos.
- Speaking and Events. All of our therapists are accomplished speakers and we have been told that audiences have appreciated the humorous but clear presentations they have attended. Contact us today whether you need a keynote speaker, inservice for your team, or focused skills training for small or large groups. Popular talks have included:
- Grace Under Fire: Advanced Assertiveness Skills for Dealing with Angry and Aggressive People
- Stress Reduction for Busy People: The 5 Steps You Can Take Today to Start Feeling Better Now
- Ethics and Safe Use of Technology in Clinical Practice